Advent 2016: Waiting
During this Advent season, as we consider what it means to wait upon the Lord, we encourage you to take 15 minutes to watch this eye-opening TEDx talk about the danger of instant gratification.
This talk is directed toward parents, but contains wisdom for all of us in our culture of having every answer just a couple taps & swipes away on our smartphones. Why have some schools given up on having kids learn state capitals? And why does this matter? What does grit have to do with all of this?
“Engaged parenting is more critical than ever in this digital sphere because, whether your children are two or twenty-two, they’re up to their eyeballs in technology.”
In addition, here are a few ideas and resources to help you grow in learning to wait upon the Lord during this Advent season that Pastor Jeya shared in her recent sermon:
- Pick the slowest lane on the freeway and drive in it
- Similarly, pick the longest line at the grocery store and wait in it
- When ordering something online, choose the shipping option that takes longer
- Turn off the notifications on your phone and check when you are ready
- Put your phone away during mealtimes and savor the food you are eating
- Take some time to make something
- Find somebody who needs to be heard (an older person, a younger person) and lend them an ear
- Keep a Bible passage about waiting in your wallet and memorize it while you are waiting